The day swiftly approaches! It is almost upon us… less than a week left and we shall be at war!!!
…That may have been a bit… over-dramatic, I’d say. EIther way, our Artemis Party is swifly approaching. Most of the details have been worked out, with a few hang ups which will get sorted out before the party begins. This will be an epic tale that will be told throughout the ages, woven into the fabric of time its….I really have to stop talking like that…
For those of you that don’t know, I am really excited about my friend and I are throwing an Artemis party. What is an Artemis party you ask?! Well! Let me enlighten and entertain. Artemis is a “Un-official Star Trek Bridge Simulator” where 5 of your friends can join you in a co-operative networked game where each of you takes a role from othe StarTrek bridge! There are 6 posts:
- The Helmsman – The chauffer of the lot, piloting the craft through the darkness of space, dodging singularities, and craftily out-manuvering other vessels that are hell bent on our destruction
- Communications – The secretary for our voyage. Main duties include hailing other vessels… umm… refilling the captains drink… and… well… im sure we can come up with other duties as assigned
- Engineering – Makes sure that things have power that is supposed to, over clocking things when (in my bes Scotty impersination) “WE NEED MORRR POWWAA!”, and cooling things so they dont overheat and explode
- Weapons – *pew*pew*
- Science Officer – Tactical Ops. Running scans on ships looking for weaknesses, checking phenimena that doesnt show up on long range scans, making sure that our ship maintains the upper hand!
- Captain – Ahh, the coveted captains chair. The captain doesnt get a computer though… just bosses everyone around until he blows everyone up.
So the main objective is for everyone to work together to protect other friendly ships and outposts, blow up and destroy the bad guys, and do your best not to get blown up in the process. None of us have played it before so it should make for an interesting, albeit short, run.
In preperation for this fantastic event, we have invited lots of interesting friends! We also sent out a tweet to Wil Wheaton and Nathan Fillion expressing our interest in their attendance, with a few mandates. First, Wil Wheaton is allowed to be captain only if he promises not to perform the Kolvoord Starburst manuver, and second, Nathan has to bring his brown coat. … I have a feeling they will not be joining us. But in the spirit of hope, I have ordered a horse head mask to pilot my inagural flight in memmorance of Wil.
We should have everything ready to go before the group arrives. All the computers will have been pre-prepped and networked together, pizza and beer will be ready and waiting, Star Trek movie marathon will be queued and on standby, and table top boardgames will be in their designated area. If we manage to find a spot for the other tv, we might even have a console gaming area set up as well! It should prove to be the settings for a fun night. I for one am looking forward to it!
Now, because I like to think bigger than normal, if all goes well tonight we will be hosting another event… double the amount of fun! We just learned that apparently you can network up to 6 seperate bridges on the same server at a time. Thats 36 people playing the same game!!! Now, because I am not the popular, and don’t have that many friends, our next session will consist of 2 bridges under the same roof, so that two teams can battle it out in a royal death match and see which one will come out victorious, and which one becomes star dust! Obviously this will take a little more work to figure out the setup, but if all goes well, itteration #3 will consist of me doing an add on to this website for teams. At this point people will need to set up their own bridges at their houses, with their own 6 friends and we will all network them together over the internet so we can battle each other in the comfort of our own confines. We could set up teams, have tournements and skirmishes… maybe even awards and what not?!? WHO KNOWS!!! … buuuuut we are slightly getting ahead of ourselves (as I am one to do from time to time). So our main objective is to see how our first party goes and go from there!!!
For those of you interested in learning more about Artemis:
TO INFINITY AND BEY… wait…thats not right…